Time flies. Summer is winding down, and fall is around the corner. Many homeowners are already planning how they will get through the winter. For example, they may install new insulation throughout their walls and attic. It is a wise strategy, but it may not be enough. Think about winter-proofing your water pipes as well. If part of your plumbing system is exposed, consider insulating these sections. You will get tremendous benefits by going the extra mile to insulate water pipes.
The Benefits of Water Pipe Insulation
- 1 The Benefits of Water Pipe Insulation
- 2 Should You Insulate Your Water Pipes?
- 3 Things to Consider When Insulating Water Pipes
- 4 Call Robinson Plumbing For Superior Plumbing Services
The plumbing system is not immune to extreme temperatures. It may have a hard time coping with freezing conditions outside the house. Inspect your plumbing water pipes to determine their level of exposure to the elements. Note the sections that may require insulation. You can ask a plumber for help if you want guaranteed results. After completing the water pipe insulation, you can expect the following benefits:
1. Prevent Water Pipe Damage
Water expands as it turns to ice. If the temperature drops below zero, the water inside the pipes may freeze and expand. The pressure could cause cracks across the plumbing system, resulting in wasteful leaks. The water pipes may even burst due to the expansion and cut off the water supply to the house. Fixing these damaged sections can be costly. With ample insulation, you can prevent this stressful situation for your family.
2. Higher Plumbing System Efficiency
Most homes have a water heater for hot showers and other applications. If the warm water travels through exposed pipes, expect some heat to escape along the way. You can compensate by increasing the temperature settings, but it would be inefficient. You will be consuming more energy to produce the same results. With plumbing pipe insulation, you can keep more heat within the system and improve efficiency.
3. Lower Monthly Energy Bills
Water heaters have a significant contribution to your monthly bills. These may not consume as much energy as air conditioners and heat pumps, but they are not far behind. If you can increase water heater efficiency, you will reduce your utility costs. Insulate the pipes with your plumber and enjoy the savings.
4. A Safer Home by Shielding the Pipes
If you have small children or pets in your family, consider insulating the pipes for their safety. They might play near the plumbing and touch the surfaces accidentally. With extreme temperatures, the water pipes can cause discomfort and injuries. Prevent unintentional contact through insulation. You can protect both water pipes and people in a single move.
5. Corrosion Prevention for Metal Pipes
Old homes tend to have metal plumbing pipes. These can suffer from condensation due to humid air. Neglecting the situation will eventually lead to corrosion. Do not wait for visible damage before you act. If you notice frequent condensation around your exposed pipes, call a plumber to install insulation and prevent the problem from worsening.
Should You Insulate Your Water Pipes?
Make a decision based on your needs. If local building codes mandate pipe insulation, you should comply with the law. It is probably there for a good reason. The climate in your region is one of the main factors to consider. If it drops below zero during winter, insulation is a great choice. You can avoid burst pipes and other forms of damage.
Even if it doesn’t drop to freezing temperatures in your area, it may still be worth insulating the pipes to save them from corrosion while improving energy efficiency. You can extend the lifespan of your plumbing system and avoid the high cost of replacement.
If you are concerned about the environment, you may like the possibility of reducing energy consumption through pipe insulation. The savings can lower the effective cost of installation. Hire a competent plumber for excellent technique and lasting insulation.
Things to Consider When Insulating Water Pipes
- Material Selection: You have a lot of options for pipe insulation. Use conventional foam, self-sealing foam, spray foam, fiberglass covers, or something else. Some are easier to install than others. Note that these have different R-values – a measure of their resistance to heat flow. Experienced plumbers can explain the specifications and assist you in the selection.
- Proper Technique: Each type of insulation has its unique traits. You need to know how to handle them to produce the desired results. They may also work better than others in specific cases. For example, it is hard to wrap rigid insulation around pipes close to the exterior walls. Use spray foam instead. The material can seal the gap no matter how small, whereas others might not fit through the space.
- Ideal Timing: It is a good idea to start the insulation before winter. Do it before it gets too cold. Call a plumber to ask about the cost of materials and labor. Estimates will vary based on the length of the pipes and the type of insulation. Prepare the funds, check their availability, and set a home inspection as soon as possible.
Save your water pipes from damage due to freezing temperatures. Insulate the vulnerable areas. Some homeowners attempt to complete the project on their own with varying results. While the effort is commendable, inexperienced individuals often commit mistakes that result in subpar performance. Their work may even require a complete overhaul. It may be cheaper to hire a reputable plumber from the beginning. You can avoid costly mistakes and expect superior results.
Call Robinson Plumbing For Superior Plumbing Services
Contact Robinson Plumbing, one of the most trusted plumbing companies in the Lehigh Valley, for reliable plumbing services. We offer various plumbing services ranging from drain clogs, water heater replacements, toilet repairs, water leaks, and more. We always give a wide range of solutions when possible for any plumbing repairs. This allows you to choose the best options for your home and budget.
Find yourself dealing with an unexpected plumbing problem in the middle of the night? No worries! You can count on the expert plumbers at Robinson Plumbing to take care of you. We offer reliable 24-hour emergency plumbing services. You can count on us to get the job done quickly and correctly and, best of all, at an affordable price.
We proudly offer the most affordable and best plumbing services in the Lehigh Valley area. Our plumbers all have the proper licenses and expertise to ensure your satisfaction. All of our work comes with a guarantee. Contact Robinson Plumbing today and schedule your free estimate.
Call us today at (610) 351-9889 or contact us for any questions that you might have!