Most people rarely think about the plumbing system in their home until the toilet, bathroom drain, or kitchen sink gets clogged. That is when they start paying attention to the needs of their plumbing system. One problem that many encounter is a backed-up sewer line. It is one of the many plumbing issues that most homeowners wish they had never experienced.
A backed-up sewer line can spew effluent and wastewater inside your home. This will obviously force you to hire a reputable plumber who can offer the best plumbing services. This is an emergency since you will not be able to take a shower or bath because the floor of the bathroom will be full of wastewater. To prevent a plumbing problem like this, it is best to know some sewer backup prevention tips to avoid this from happening in the first place.
Sewer Backup Prevention Tips For Homeowners
In this article, we discuss some of the warning signs to keep an eye out for. This way you can avoid a major plumbing catastrophe from occurring in your home.
Warning Signs Of Sewer Problems
There are three main signs that indicate that a backed-up sewer line is imminent. Fortunately, they are all easy to notice. In fact, they are difficult to ignore. They include:
- Gurgling Sound: When washing dishes in the kitchen sink, taking a shower, or flushing the toilet, you may hear a gurgling sound coming from the drain as the water drains away. This is a good indication that either your main sewer line or secondary lines have a problem. Call a plumber to come and inspect the issue.
- Water Backing Out of Your Drains: Imagine going to the bathroom to take a shower only to step into a pool of wastewater. Obviously, that is a serious problem that requires urgent attention. A clogged sewer line will not allow any water to flow into the septic tank or the municipal’s main sewer line. This means wastewater from your kitchen sink, or even the toilet, may find its way into the bathroom floor.
- Foul Smell: When your sewer lines get clogged, you will start smelling a foul odor coming out of the plumbing system. Ideally, you should take urgent steps to address the problem before it gets worse. If you start smelling a foul odor emanating from your plumbing pipes, call a plumber immediately.
Causes Of Sewer Backups
A sewer backup is mainly caused by a blockage in the main sewer line. This blockage can be due to:
- Improper Use of the Sewer System: Flushing non-biodegradable waste down the toilet is one of the main causes of sewer blockages. Used condoms, polythene bags, cooking oil, diapers, sanitary towels, and toothpicks can be blamed for most sewer blockages. Therefore, dispose of non-biodegradable materials properly.
- Poor Maintenance: Blockage of sewer lines can also be caused by poor maintenance. For example, trees growing around the septic tank or sewer line should be uprooted. Alternatively, their roots should be cut to prevent them from penetrating into the sewer line and clogging up the system.
If you live in an old house, consider replacing the sewer lines connecting your home to the municipal’s main sewer line or your septic tank. If you have a homeowners’ insurance policy covering sewer backup, you can file your claim after fixing the problem. Some policies may even reimburse you for any hotel accommodation and food consumed away from home during the period. Just remember to keep receipts for any expense you incur to support your claim.
Call Robinson Plumbing For All Of Your Plumbing Requirements
Contact Robinson Plumbing, one of the most trusted plumbing companies in the Lehigh Valley, for reliable plumbing services. We have lots of plumbing services ranging from toilet repairs and replacements, faucet upgrades, water leak repairs, clogged drain repairs, and more. We always give a wide range of solutions when possible for any plumbing repairs. This allows you to choose the best options for your budget and home.
We proudly offer the most affordable and best plumbing services in the Lehigh Valley area. Our plumbers all have the proper licenses and expertise to ensure your satisfaction. All of our work comes with a guarantee. Contact Robinson Plumbing today and schedule your free estimate.