Nobody likes to try and wash their car or take a shower when the water pressure is low. However, the higher the pressure, the higher the cost. Not only does high water pressure increase your monthly water bill, but it can also harm your plumbing pipes. It can even affect how long your appliances last for, especially faucets, washing machines, sinks, and toilets.
For every 10 minutes that you use water that has high water pressure, you can use between 6 and 26 gallons of water. Consequently, this causes your monthly water bill to be excessive.
What You Need To Know About High Water Pressure
- 1 What You Need To Know About High Water Pressure
In this article, we discuss the issues that high water pressure causes. Also, we will cover the signs of high water pressure and the best methods to reduce the water pressure in your home.
Recommended Water Pressure For Residential Properties
The water pressure in residential homes should be within the range of 45 and 80 PSI (pounds per square inch). Anything above that is too costly and can damage your plumbing system. Commercial properties can often have a PSI as high as 150, but this is way too high for a home.
The Effects Of High Water Pressure On Your Plumbing System
High water pressure can erode your homes plumbing pipes, causing:
- A much greater chance of pipes breaking or cracking
- Annoying sounds and leaks
- Reduced service life for your plumbing fixtures and pipes
- Stoppers inside fixtures will no longer be able to stop water from
- The “water hammer effect,” which damages valves, faucet heads, and
Signs That Your Water Pressure Is Too High
The water pressure in your home may be too high if you notice any of the following:
- Running toilets: Even though a running toilet is a common problem, high water pressure can cause a toilet to run continuously. This is not only a waste of precious water and money, but it also is not healthy.
- Banging Pipes: Very high water pressure can cause the water in the pipes to burst through very quickly, causing loud banging or knocking sounds. Not only is this annoying, but if left unattended, it can also lead to other significant problems down the line.
- Faucets That Leak: If you find that your faucets are leaking at specific times of the day, or only when you turn them on, it is almost always going to be because your water pressure is too high. If and when you do realize that you have this problem, you should contact a professional plumber to take a look. A licensed plumber can test and adjust your water pressure, as well as finding any other hidden causes.
How Do You Fix High Water Pressure?
It depends on the cause of the high water pressure, but is possible that the problem can be fixed by simply putting in a pressure reducing valve (PRV). Some benefits of having a PRV fitted are:
- The fact that you will save money on your monthly water bill
- Fitting a PRV will automatically reduce your home’s high water
pressure, and keep it at a lower level
- It can reduce your water bill by up to 30%.
- It will make your plumbing fixtures and appliances last as long as expected
- If you do already have a PRV installed, you can expect it to last
between 7 and 12 years.
When you need to have your PRV replaced, check to see how old it is in comparison to your current system. To help with identifying other possible solutions to your water pressure issues, you should consult with a professional plumber.
You may think that by trying to do the job by yourself, you will impress your friends. However, chances are that you will do just the opposite. Usually, plumbing problems should be left in the hands of the professionals.
Call Robinson Plumbing For Superior Plumbing Services
For reliable plumbing services, contact Robinson Plumbing, one of the Lehigh Valley’s most trusted plumbing companies.
If you notice that your home has high water pressure, be sure to give us a call. We can find the best solutions that will reduce your water costs and preserve your plumbing pipes and appliances.
We are a full-service plumbing company. Our plumbing services range from water leak detection and repairs, clogged drains, the installation of water-efficient plumbing fixtures, and more. For any plumbing repairs that you may require, we always offer a wide range of solutions whenever possible. This way, you can choose the option that works best for your budget and family.
We are proud to offer the best and most affordable plumbing services in the area. All of our plumbers have the proper licenses and experience to ensure your satisfaction. All of our work is guaranteed. Give Robinson Plumbing a call today to schedule a free estimate.