Keeping your plumbing system in great shape is vital for a functional home. You should always have a trusted plumber on hand for the plumbing repairs or installations that need to happen from time to time.
When you need a knowledgeable plumber in your area, reach out to Robinson Plumbing. We offer a wide range of plumbing services including water leak repairs, toilet repairs, water heater installations, and much more.
We always charge reasonable prices and deliver work that is sure to guarantee your satisfaction. Call today to schedule a free estimate. We offer services throughout the Lehigh Valley including Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton, and the surrounding areas.
Summer is notorious for its high water use. Below, we share some tips that you can use to determine whether you have a water leak in your home. Water leak detection is a great way to find any leaks that are unnecessarily increasing your water bills.
Summer Is The Best Time For Water Leak Repairs
Water is a vital and limited resource. Unfortunately, much of it is wasted through leaks in the plumbing system of countless homes. Up to 20,000 gallons of liquid can bleed out from the pipes and fittings in an entire year. This amount of water may cause the structure to develop some damage over time like cracks in the foundation. It will also increase the monthly utility bills even if the household did not really benefit from those thousands of wasted gallons. If you suspect that you have a leak, then try to detect where it is coming from and call a plumber to have it repaired right away.
Leak Detection Instructions
- Close all faucets and showers. Shut off every water-dependent appliance in the house. In essence, do everything to make sure that no water is being used within the household. If you have faucets or fountains outside, then shut them down as well.
- Go to your water meter and make a note of the reading. If you are not aware where it is, then ask your landlord or call your utility provider. They should be able to point you in the right direction and give you tips on how to read it.
- Wait for about 2 to 3 hours while you refrain from using water. After this period, you can check back on the meter and see if there has been any movement. It should have stayed the same since you did not use up any water at all while waiting. If the reading changed, then you have a leak somewhere in the system.
Pinpointing The Water Leak Location
- Knowing that you have a leak is only the beginning. You will then have to find where it is so that it can be stopped. At the very least, find out where it is occurring inside or outside of the house. Shut off the home’s main valve to prevent water from entering the structure.
- Take a meter reading at the start and again after a few hours, just like you did earlier. Since water is not supposed to be flowing inside, any movement in the meter means that the leak is somewhere outside. If the meter did not move, then the leak must be located where inside the house.
- You can initiate your search for the leakage based on the previous findings. Do not worry if you can’t find the exact location as you can always call for a professional plumber who can get the job done. Let the plumber hunt for the leak and do whatever is appropriate to fix it. Leaks may start at one location and then travel, making it difficult to find its source for the untrained eye.
Leaking faucets can be caused by a worn rubber washer. You would be surprised to find out how each drop adds up!
Leaking toilets waste a lot of water without you even realizing. Even the smallest of toilet leaks can add up to hundreds of gallons of wasted water and wasted money.
- Flapper Valve Leaks
- Flush Handle Problems
- Overflow Tube Leaks
Other Water Leaks:
Always be on the lookout for water leaks. Look for discoloration. This discoloration can be on your floors, walls, ceilings, and your woodwork. Look for any condensation.
While it is possible to fix leaks throughout the year, they will be much easier to detect and repair during the summer. The ground will be dry so telltale signs like unusual wet spots and puddles can be readily seen for underground leaks. Hunting for the source is straightforward and proper solutions can be implemented right away. So don’t delay. Call a reliable plumbing expert today.
For reliable plumbing services, contact Robinson Plumbing. We offer services that can help reduce your high water bills. These services range from water leak detection and repairs to the installation of water-efficient plumbing appliances. For any plumbing repairs, we always offer a wide range of solutions whenever possible. This way, you can choose the option that works best for your budget and family. Call today to schedule a free estimate.
Some of the areas we service include Allentown, Bethlehem, Coplay, Emmaus, Whitehall and these zip codes: 18101, 18015, 18037, 18049, 18052 as well as all surrounding areas in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.
Call us today at (610) 351-9889 or contact us for any questions that you might have!