Many of us cannot imagine our lives without modern plumbing for even a day. However, some of the things we do, or do not do, each day could easily bring us to this point. Failing to get your plumbing pipes checked periodically or, even worse, ignoring possible signs of plumbing problems could result in using “creative methods” as you wait for the plumber to arrive. Luckily, it does not have to get to that.
Common Plumbing Noises
Here are 5 categories of common noises your pipes are likely to make and what they mean.
1. Thudding, Hissing Or Hammer
If your fixtures make a thud, hiss or give off a hammering sound, then it may be time to learn what a “pressure regulator” is. Oftentimes, these three sounds occur when your water pressure is too high. Turning the pressure down can easily solve the issue and save you some money on your next water bill.
Your shower head whistles: If your shower head is whistling, then it is most likely clogged and simply needs to be cleaned. However, if you clean it and the noise continues, it may be time to change it.
Your pipes (in general whistle: Whistling pipe fixtures could mean your pipes have some form of debris or air trapped in them. Whistling could also be a sign of low water pressure so you can fix it by simply turning the pressure up.
Banging sounds in the middle of the night can be scary for more than one reason. When it comes to plumbing, the possible repair cost for damaged unsecured or improperly secured pipes is high on the list of nightmares. Banging pipes could also be a sign that there is something blocking your pipes. Simply have the blockage removed or your pipes properly secured to make the noise stop.
4. Shaking and Rattling: Like banging, shaking and rattling suggests that your pipes need to be secured before a larger problem occurs. The sound often occurs as water moves through the plumbing forcing the pipes to shake because they are not tightly secured.
5. Gurgling: Gurgling is usually your drain’s way of telling you that something is wrong. Unfortunately, this is not the only way it tells you since it may also add gases and foul odors to the list. If your drain gurgles:
- There may be a clogged drain. Check for hair, food and product build-up then clean accordingly.
- You may have an issue with your ventilation piping.
- Your pipes may have air in them.
- There may be a problem with your sewer lines (such as a break).
That last option is among the worst plumbing issues to experience and could cost thousands, so it is not one to ignore!
A lot of simple, common plumbing issues can be diagnosed and, in some cases, fixed by you. However, it is always best to consult a professional for plumbing repair and plumbing maintenance. Many homeowners try to fix their own plumbing system issues and find that they need to call a plumber halfway through. It is best to call a plumber to avoid creating a bigger and more expensive problem.
To find a qualified plumber, be sure to contact Robinson Plumbing. Our certified plumbers have the skills, knowledge, and professionalism to diagnose any plumbing issues that you might be experiencing. We will be able to fix it promptly in order to get your plumbing system in working order again. Robinson Plumbing is a local, family owned company that offers top notch plumbing services.
We service Alburtis PA 18011, Breinigsville PA 18031, East Texas PA 18046, Emmaus PA 18049, Fogelsville PA 18051, Hereford PA 18056, Macungie PA 18062, Maxatawny PA 19538, Mertztown PA 19539, Old Zionsville PA 18068, Palm PA 18070, Topton PA 19562, Trexlertown PA 18087, Zionsville PA 18092, and surrounding areas.